Years ago I spent an evening at a friend's house playing cards with her family. Partway through the night her aunt told a story of an antique lace tablecloth made by her great-grandma. She had put it out during the holidays as one of her most treasured decorations. Somehow one of her sons started a craft at the table without her noticing and while making his art he accidentally cut the tablecloth and damaged it irreparably. While listening to this story I gasped aloud, this was a tragedy to say the least. But what happened next was so surprising to me. She was sad about her great-grandmother's tablecloth, but she said she just reminded herself that she loved her son more than the tablecloth, she moved the cloth and praised the art! I was so astounded! But my friends whole family was adamant that she had done the right thing.
Now that I'm a mother I am in awe at this story even more. My children make so many messes and ruin so many of my things. It's hard not to lose my temper, but I am grateful for the good example I had then to remind me. Love the child more than the tablecloth.
4 comments:
Wow, what a powerful message,especially at this crazy time of the holidays! I will have to remember that one. I am prone to losing my temper when the kids get into things they shouldn't!!
Thanks, for sharing!
I like this story.
I needed that story today. Thanks for sharing it.
Beautiful message. Thank you!
Post a Comment